Tureens – a beautiful way to serve your soup
What is a tureen and what is it used for?
A tureen is a type of serving dish used for serving dishes like soups and stews. Tureens are commonly made of heat-resistant materials like porcelain, earthenware, or other materials, and are often decorated with intricate patterns or designs.
Throughout the ages, tureens have taken on a variety of shapes, including round, rectangular, and imaginative ones like that of animals or wild birds.
What can I put in a tureen?
Tureens are most often used to serve soups and stews, however, they can also be used to serve other hot dishes or cold foods like salads and fruit. Examples of food you could serve in a tureen are as follows:
- Soup: Tureens are often used for soup serving. A tureen can hold any type of soup, including butternut squash, tomato, mushroom, and chicken noodle soup.
- Stew: Tureens are excellent for presenting stews, including beef, vegetable, and lamb stews.
- Chilli: A common cuisine that can also be served in a tureen is chilli. It's hearty, filling, and perfect for colder weather.
- Curry: A tureen can also be used to serve a hot curry. Curry dishes made from chicken, lamb, or vegetables are all excellent choices.
- Pasta: Pasta meals like spaghetti and meatballs, mac & cheese, or lasagna can be served in a large tureen.
- Salad: Though tureens are typically used to serve hot food, they can also be used to serve cold food, such as a large salad or fruit salad.
How do you keep a soup warm in a tureen?
There are a few ways you can keep soup warm in a tureen:
- Preheat the tureen with hot water: Fill the tureen with hot water and let it sit for a few minutes before pouring the soup. This will stop the soup from getting cold too quickly.
- Use a lid: A tight-fitting lid will help you keep your soup warm for longer.
- Use a teapot warmer or tealights: If your tureen has high feet you can use tealights to warm it up a bit (just like you do it with a teapot).