Universal knife – your multi-purpose knife
A universal knife is a sort of kitchen knife that can be used for different culinary tasks. It's not really a specific type of knife, like a chef's knife or Santoku knife, nor does it have any specific traits or serve any specific purpose. The length of it may vary and the most important thing is for it to be convenient for you.
How do I maintain and care for my universal knife?
- First of all, remember to sharpen your knife regularly so get yourself a good knife sharpener.
- The lifetime of your universal knife can be shortened by high temperatures, which can harm both the handle and the blade so avoid putting it in the dishwasher.
- In addition, after washing your universal knife, make sure to quickly dry it with a soft towel. This will eliminate the chance of rusting or discolouration.
- Additionally, you should invest in knife storage equipment for your universal knives. In-drawer storage, a knife block, a magnetic rack or a special case.
- Last but not least: You'll need a proper cutting surface! A proper cutting board that doesn't dull the blades can be made of hardwood, bamboo or high-quality plastic. Avoid chopping boards made of stone or glass because they will quickly dull or destroy the blade of your universal knife.
What are the materials used in making a universal knife?
A universal knife blade can be constructed of several materials, including ceramic, high carbon steel, stainless steel, high carbon stainless steel, and titanium.
- Stainless Steel
One of the advantages of stainless steel is that it won't rust, which is very useful for your universal knife as food and juices will inevitably get on it and increase the likelihood of stains. Blades made of stainless steel also require less maintenance.
- Damascus Steel
The production of Damascus steel, which involves repeatedly folding high- and low-carbon steels together, was invented by Japanese sword manufacturers. As a result, the blades are flexible and sharp, which makes them ideal for universal knives.
Check our offer and get the best universal knives from recognized manufacturers like Forged, WMF, and Wusthof. You can also read our shopping guide for knives to learn more about which knife to buy for your kitchen.